As an organisation Imagination has grown organically, likewise so has their storage infrastructure, with a combination of high end and bespoke storage systems deployed across their global locations. Traditionally Imagination have used on-premise storage solutions, with some isolated silos of Cloud storage in use for specific project work.
As the storage infrastructure has grown in volume (around 2TB per month in the UK alone) as has its complexity, making it time consuming and inefficient to manage. Expensive tier one storage was being used to house what was effectively archive data due to the amount of time it takes to retrieve data from tape. As the company expands on its use of 4K and 8K video these issues will only worsen.
The overall cost of managing Imaginations storage environment was becoming unmanageable, equally, being an events driven business, the availability of Imaginations data is a top priority. The ability to create content in one location and then distribute that on a global scale on demand was something that the business were looking to achieve to streamline the way in which they operate - traditional storage approaches made that almost impossible.
Imagination looked at alternative delivery approaches but what quickly became clear was that leveraging the power and scale of Cloud storage was the most sustainable long-term strategy. Cloud storage alone does not provide a silver bullet though – considerations need to be made regarding access, performance and the ability to collaborate on documents - things that can only be delivered by using a Cloud storage gateway (CSG).
Imagination considered a number of alternative solutions (Panzura and Amazons storage appliance) but felt that none were mature enough, or carried the depth of features that was available through the Nasuni platform. Following an extensive global proof of concept, Nephos and Nasuni were selected as the preferred storage solution moving forward by Imagination.
The scope of the project involved Nephos’ deployment of the Nasuni solution across 19 of Imaginations global locations, with a combination of physical and virtual Cloud integrated storage appliances, linked to Imaginations Amazon Web Services (AWS) infrastructure to provide a single global storage pool.
The Nasuni solution deployed by Nephos Technologies provides some key features
- Local file access performance at branch locations
- Consistent backup of global data sets
- A global file system to enable collaboration
- A platform that enables in place upgrades and on-demand capacity increases
The Nasuni solution that Nephos Technologies has provided to Imagination has led the business to realise significant benefits that traditional storage approaches could not deliver:
- The ability to scale at pace on a regional basis
- Increased speed to market when bringing new services or locations online
- A platform that can support future use of 4K and 8K video content without constant capital investments
- Simplifying capacity planning by removing the physical and commercial constraints of traditional storage
- The ability to simply move users and workloads without the cost and complexity of forklift upgrades